Sunday 8 January 2012

Weekly Roundup!

Hi all, how's 2012 working out for you so far? It's working how just fine for me, I feel immensely optimistic about this year!

Well as I'm self employed early Jan is inevitably taken up with doing my accounts which should have been done long before now at end of Jan is the deadline, but hey that's how I roll, so that's essentially what I'm up to but I've still got news for you and pictures to share.

First up my resolutions, yes I like resolutions I don't think of them as resolutions I think of them as goals for the year, I also never start the tougher ones on the 1st of Jan, you are so doomed for failure if you do that, well I am I've learnt from experience!!

Now I'm starting to get my dining room back we are going to eat at the table as much as possible, this is something we don't do, mostly as we haven't had the dining room for years as it was the stock room. Here is the table set for New Years Day dinner, we've pretty much eaten all breakfast there and we're having fondue tonight as we have all the ingredients left from over Christmas!


As you can see though it's pretty cramped that's cos this is what the rest of the room still looks like


So not quite a dining room yet but soon. I'm going to be moving all this stuff at some point this month and then stripping of wall paper, re-wallpapering and then painting has to be done. The floor is good. We also found some fab curtains just before Christmas on ebay, we were lucky enough to have a small win on the lottery, well £72 so we bought curtains for the dining room! Here they are I think they look fab with the dinette chair.


We're thinking we might paint the walls grey but we're not sure. We'll see!

One of my other resolutions is to get out and about a bit more and do small things I enjoy, not necessarily things that cost. We had a tough year, personally and financially last year and so this year, although finances are still tight we want to try to just get out of the house sometimes, even if it's just to look around somewhere.

So this weekend we did one of our favourites things. We went rummaging at an Antique market and large antique shop. We didn't find anything in fact the regular antique/craft type fair we go to in Farnham was pretty quiet, I don't blame the traders for not so many being there, after all you're not going to make much in January so it was a little disappointing as we usually find something. Then the church fair that is around the corner where I scored loads of vintage buckles, buttons and material last time wasn't even on! So we decided to visit Bourne Mill Antique centre in Farnham. It's a huge old mill I assume,  a really old building packed full of stuff but it is really hard to get around if you're not good on your feet, so Paul went to the cafe for coffee and cake whilst I rummaged. Here are some pics.







It's several floors of real rummaging, I didn't find anything this time, to be honest it's been going downhill a bit lately but in the past we've found some real treasures! It's definitely worth a visit though if you're in the area.

I love the 50s kitchen cabinet and I am in the market for one but I'm not going to pay £265!

I do have other resolutions that I won't share but one that I will is sewing more. I have saved enough to buy myself an overlocker I am busting with joy about this, however as I'm grounded til I get my accounts done I'm not going to buy it til I'm done otherwise it will be shouting at me when I need to be doing my accounts! I'm hoping to get it in time for next weekend as I figure I might finish my accounts tomorrow whoo hoo! The first thing I'm going to sew is not for me. I've gained weight and I need to shed it, I find out about my knee op on Tuesday so fingers crossed that happens quick so I can get back to exercising too. In the meantime I've been promising Paul a number of items so I'm going to get going on those. These are more casual 50s trousers that I'm going to give a go. I also have some great material for a shirt for him. I'll let you see them when I'm done, promise!



Anyway that's what I've been up to. Hope you're all having a great 2012 so far. My accounts phase is not much fun but hey it's got to be done! Once it's done I'll be very happy and crack on with my to do list for 2012!

12 comments:

Used-to-Bees said...

I'm sorry I missed you yesterday at the Maltings - though I nearly went into Bourne Mill after nipping into Homebase so might have bumped into you if I had. But I was hell bent on getting on with a little project before I had to go and get Joe from the airport, so even Bourne Mill couldn't tempt me away! Good luck with the sewing, the knee op appointment and the accounts (now you've reminded me my tax form needs attending to...)
x

Miss Magpie said...

Fingers crossed about the knee. I love the curtains! I still say I will come and move into your house one day, it's so lovely.

Welcome to DeluxeVille said...

Happy New Year!

Good luck with your knee...hopefully it won't set you back for long!

xoxo,
MaryD

Roxie Roulette said...

My great-grandmother had a kitchen cabinet like that but in lemon yellow - don't know what's happened to it now unfortunately.

Happy New Year!

Vix said...

Well done on that lotto win, definitely looks like a great start to the year so far!
That antiques centre looks wonderful but how much for that cabinet? I spotted one outside a local junk shop last year priced up at £25 but foolishly didn't buy it, I'm still cursing myself now. x

Unknown said...

Happy new year and good to see you back ;-)) Love your curtain fabric that is lovely and that larder 50's glass cabinet is gorgeous but i agree that is far to expensive. Love the pale blue bakerlite ice bucket to i passed over on a brown one the other month is was in mint condition and at £10 but i thought when am i ever go to use it. Have fun this year, dee x

Helga said...

I'm hoping to do a lot more sewing too!
Bugger about accounts,but great that so far 2012 is treating you fabulously!Long may it last,doll!
XXX

Mrs Molly Doll said...

I love your chair with the little leaf on it- adorable! And good luck with your knee operation too. :)
x Molly

Coedith said...

I have missed you!

Argh, tax time, having a business makes it even less enjoyable. Luckily hubby does all the accounting otherwise we'd be in a mess because I would avoid it-and we all know that isn't an option. The only positive thing about having a slow year business wise for us is at least we pay less in taxes.
Trying to find the bright side, it's just slow all over!

Getting out more sounds like a good goal. I know I have days-okay weeks, where I just don't want to leave the house. When I finally do I feel much better.
Can't wait to see your sewing projects! I live vicariously as no sewing here.
Here's to a wonderful 2012!

Jemima said...

Congratulations on your win! There is a to die for fifties kitchen dresser on e bay at the moment. I have a kitchen. Repeat after me...is it working??

Used-to-Bees said...

Me again! Couldn't find your email so back here to tell you about the paint I used for my frames, which was 'Annie Sloan paint'. It's a chalky paint and it is ideal as it seems to go on anything with no arduous preparation (ie priming, sanding or undercoating)! So I have used it on wood, MDF and plastic, all very quickly and easily. I go to a little place in Fleet to buy it - Unique Chique. But the AS website is here http://www.anniesloan.com/index.html

doradadama said...

Amor those are some great resolutions!
I love your tablecloth.
That red kitchen cabinet is gorgeous.
I am happy everything is getting sorted for you.
lots of luck with knee operation.
I'm hoping to find more junk and frocks and yes excercise more.
besios

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...