Sunday 9 January 2011

I was inspired!

I was so inspired by my new sewing space that I blogged about yesterday that I went straight up there after breakfast!

I had in mind a couple of things I wanted to do and guess what I did both!

First up, I wanted to make a cover for my Kindle which was a Christmas present. I can't believe something that expensive comes without at least a basic cover but that's another story altogether. Anyway obviously I didn't have a pattern or anything so I just made something up, I knew I needed a lining, a stiffener and some nice fabric for the cover. I used a scrap I had from my living room curtains, so I used that rather than use something new, just in case I messed up! Here at the pics of the process!!

First up fabric & lining cut


Next up attaching the stiffener to the barkcloth fabric

AND the finished product with a very cute button on, which looks like it doesn't quite match in the picture, but believe me in real life it does look very nice.


This is the back of the Kindle cover


And just to prove it IS a Kindle cover!!


And lastly, looking very stylish on my bedside cabinet!


Once I'd finished that I decide to embark on a project I've been meaning to for ages. I had a really sturdy nice 50's footstool that I use all the time - I'm short and it's not comfortable for me to sit on the sofa with my feet on the floor, I can't quite reach! Anyway we've had the stool for years and it is very much worse for wear now. I wanted to cover it in the same barkcloth as I've used above as this matches our living room curtains. I've never done anything like this before, so just played it by ear again, eeek!

Here it is you can see how nice it is.


But it's so wrecked!





So I took the legs off and took it apart and this is what I was left with, not what I expected at all!




It actually didn't even take long to end up with this!



It's not perfect, I learnt some lessons as I was going it, but I'm pretty pleased with it.





I'm tempted to go back upstairs and try something else but both those projects required some brain power and I'm not sure I could work anything else out today!!

So there we go I've kickstarted the sewing big style. I will make clothes but I want to kick start my weight loss before I start making clothes again. So the next couple of months will be mostky crafty sewing and then hopefully I'll start the clothes making.

Oh and talking about resolutions I'm pleased to say I've had an alcohol free, food treat free weekend YAY!

24 comments:

Penny Dreadful Vintage said...

What a lovely fabric, the kindle cover and stool both look fabulous - well done you x

Ivy Black said...

Wow Fiona...you're off! What a fab start to the new year.xxx

Sara Green said...

I'm loving the stool! I need one as I am short as well, seeing yours gives me inspiration to find a not so good one and recover it.

Perdita Tinsel said...

Love them both! Thanks for passing on the inspiration... I'm now itching to get me some old chairs from a car-boot-sale and 'make' them a matching set with a lick of paint and matching covers.

Dolly Cool Clare said...

I love revamping things...how good does that foot stool look?! Bet you cant wait to get going with lots of other projects...

Gemma said...

These are fabulous... you're so clever and patient. I've been getting impatient darning armpits, heaven knoews what I'd be like sewing a footstool cover!
Gem x

Vix said...

Impressed! Lovely fabric and genius ideas. I have a very similiar knackered stool (green with a white daisy) I've been dithering about for ages, I should take a leaf out of your book and copy you.
No boozing or naughty nibbles? Well done. xxx

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Wow!! The footstool is amazing, and love your moonbeam clock!

Straight Talking Mama! said...

Thanks all, glad I've been an inspiration to some, felt really good actually, could have done more but I know I have a lot on this week so had some down time too.

The moonbeam clock was a Restoration Hardware repro bought in Pasadena!

Miss Matilda said...

amazing xx

Anonymous said...

Fabulous, loved both projects x

Kitty said...

Well done you! do some weight-losing for me too, will you?

Anonymous said...

You make beautifull things ! Marvelous and the fabric is just perfect.

Joanne said...

Fiona these new creative projects are really impressive. Do you make things to order? Also you must have a back catalogue of material to use, as the one used for the footstool and Kindle cover are really stylish and you just can't get material like that any more.

LandGirl1980 said...

Fabbaluss!!!!

Unknown said...

Wow i love what you have done with the stool and your use of fabric is gorgeous ;-)) Its so great when you get that creative bug back " YOU GO GIRL" well done ;-)) Dee x

Tara said...

Wonderful post! Love the fabric! You did an awesome job in the stool! I love the Kindle cover too!

My mom used to be an interior designer as well as a upholsterer. She used to buy charity shop wares and revamp them into showroom-like pieces! Mom still does the odd piece but only for herself now. I need to learn from her! I have an 80s chair that has a great shape but the fabric is hideous! lol!

VildesVerden said...

Wow, really cool!

Gabriella said...

That fabric is sooo gorgeous! Love the kindle cover and the stool. Congrats on keeping your resolutions too!

Tasha said...

First off, we have those same alarm clocks on our bedside tables, in the light green color! (Isn't it the most terrifying noise to wake up to? LOL)

Second, I had to do a double-take because the barkcloth you used looks almost exactly like the one I used to make a pillow and French bulletin board for my cube at work.

Third, that is the craziest inside to your stool! I'm slowly working up the nerve to recover our dinette chairs. They were obviously recovered at some point, and the fabric doesn't really match the table and has some rips to boot. I watched a tutorial online where they were recovering literally the same style of chair, but I'm still a bit scared to find out what will await me on the inside!

Straight Talking Mama! said...

Thanks all!

How strange Tash, we are obviously girls with very similar brilliant taste! I can imagine the dinette chairs would be a bit daunting!

Lil Lisa Jane said...

Well done on the sewing - the stool really is impressive and looks even better in real life! Clever girl!

Straight Talking Mama! said...

Sorry Jo I didn't answer your questions, yes I am starting to make stuff to sell too, just a little side line really!

Why thank you Lisa!

TemperamentalBroad@blogspot.com said...

I love how crafty you are! I think I want to teach myself how to knit this year. I drool over all those 40s sweaters and they are impossible to find.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...