Thursday 29 September 2011

Autumn/Winter Sewing Planning!

It seems to be a bit strange that I'm doing autumn/winter sewing planning when we're in the middle of a heatwave. Yes you heard it, the UK is having a heatwave at the end of September, it's glorious and set to stay with us for a few days, however we all know it won't last so I'm planning for Autumn/Winter anyway!

Despite the heatwave it is getting darker in the evenings which always get's me to thinking of sewing again. I'm not good at sewing in Summer, I have no idea why!

Anyway I am planning a few new makes, most of them run of the mill, more heavier weight skirts, a couple of new pairs of trousers, but I have a couple of more ambitious plans, fingers crossed I get round to doing them!

First up, I have always wanted a Mexican Tourist Jacket, a bit like this example on ebay.



However my large bust has always be a bit of a problem, they don't tend to come in bigger sizes, so I have decided to try to make my own! Ambitious huh? I'm slightly daunted by it, but excited to. I don't doubt it will take quite some time but if I plan it over time, it'll be ready for Spring. Obviously the actual jacket won't take long to make as it's just a simple design, however I need the right fabric. I'm keen to make mine in turquoise which is a common colour for them, I've just sent off for a sample of a fabric I think will be suitable, so then we'll see!

Then of course I need to plan the embroidery, which I may add I have never done before, told you it was ambitious ha ha! I've downloaded loads of samples from ebay and etsy for ideas and then I'm going to make my own design. Gosh I'm getting more and more scared thinking about it!

The other idea I have is another coat, which I think I'd need to do sooner rather than later. My motivation is this picture, how gorgeous!



No no no, I'm not being that ambitious, although how fabulous would a suit like this be! But I thought how lovely a yellow or green wool coat would be with a leopard collar and cuffs. So there's another idea.

Then last but not least, I am totally not taking to knitting, so I have decided to try something smaller to try to get me into it. I bought this pattern today, so I'm going to try to make some gloves, mum has yarn left from some sweaters so she's going to send them to me, so hopefully next week I'll be starting on them. Oh by the way, don't ask how I got on with the sweater I was making.....



So I have some bog standard staple ideas and then some very ambitious ideas!

Have you got any sewing or knitting autumn/winter plans?

18 comments:

Miss Rascal said...

Ohh! I'm looking forward to see how the Mexican jacket turned out. :)

Straight Talking Mama! said...

don't hold your breathe though ha ha!

Ivy Black said...

Oooh can't wait to see it! You can make one easy.
I was all lined up to do a winter jacket and dress suit affair but it's now far to hot to even think about it!! What peculiar, but luverely weather. xxx

Tasha said...

Oh my goodness, this is so funny because just earlier today I was thinking how good a sewist you are, I was hoping you'd talk about sewing soon on your blog, and here you have. :) I think your projects sound great, I can't wait to see what you do with the Mexican jacket idea!!

Also yay for knitting! Of course you knew I'd say that. LOL But be forewarned, fingers on gloves suck. I am not kidding, I knit gloves on vacation and may never do it again. They are very fiddly and it's easy for them to not come out quite right. Just a warning in case you want to make them fingerless and avoid the headache. I'd hate for fingers to turn you off knitting, hee hee... ;)

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

I'm so impressed with the concept of making anything wearable. I'm still admiring my pincushion. And the most complicated thing I've ever knitted was legwarmers!

Miss Rayne said...

Yes, I'm in the middle of a sewing extravaganza, which I can see lasting well into november, At the moment I making a navy eary 50s dress, I've just finished a 40s jacket for Pickering war weekend, I've got 2 70s dresses and a 60s skirt in the pile tht aI already have the fabric for and about 3 other patterns which I have yet to find the right fabric for, Oh and 2 hats, a 1920s wraparound turban and a 60s soft cloche.....

Straight Talking Mama! said...

oh Tasha really are they hard :o( Damn!

Dolly Cool Clare said...

I'd love to be able to make a coat. I never see ones that I like! Fab gloves too, do post when you have finished them :)

doradadama said...

That jacket is so cute, I see them all the time on Ebay and always get outbidded.
I cant sew for shit, I think you could.

good luck with the sewing amor

Vix said...

I love that Mexican jacket and in turquoise? sounds absolutely fantastic.
I've had a dress cut out and ready to stitch for over three weeks, I'm so bad. x

Used-to-Bees said...

Flippin' 'eck! You don't do things by halves! I can certainly see you in a yellow and leopard skin coat, or green for that matter. As for the gloves - those look really scary! I was contemplating knitting socks for people for you-know-what (begins with C and should not be mentioned yet...) but asked an expert and, whilst she was encouraging, it did make me realise that I probably need a year's run-up before I'd be ready to tackle multiple sock knitting! Have fun with sourcing fabrics and designing your Mexican jacket!
x

Coedith said...

I love the embroidery project. I want to sew more but I'm not very patient and always think I know better than directions-so I end up with half ass/half finished pieces. But I do like to embroider. Anxious to see these!

SewLittleToSay said...

Love the idea of the coat with the contrast collar and cuffs. Would you be able to make these detachable so that you could get two looks out of one coat?

I don't know if you draft your own patterns or if you use commercial patterns, but there seems to be offers at the momemnt on Butterick and New Look patterns.

Miss Magpie said...

I love the zigzag of leopard print on that coat. I'm really looking forward to seeing your projects take shape :-)

Unknown said...

Wow cant wait to see you start your jacket that will be really exciting to achieve that but you can do it ;-)) Happy knitting and enjoy this gorgeous weather, dee x

Salsa Von Leopard said...

I wish i could even begin to attempt making either coat. I love the mustard and leopard print one lots. good luck on those projects...keep us updated :D

doradadama said...

Did you try to unfollow me and follow me back?
hope it helps.
have a great weekend

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Love the jacket! I can't do anything in the heat!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...