Thursday 29 July 2010

Charity Shop Haul!

I rarely go to charity shops any more, I can count on the fingers of one hand the good things I've bought in a charity shop in the last 20 years, I never have any success ever ever ever! I do pop in them when I walk by them but I never see anything, well I occasionally see stuff that's ok, but I'm hardly desperate for stuff so I would only buy something I loved.

Well today my friends was the day! I went to a local town I don't often go to because I needed to pick something up from a good fabric shop there, when we walked out of the fabric shop I noticed a charity shop next door and thought, it's always worth a look, nothing... Then there was another one 2 doors down, nothing.... Then another one across the road, this was a bit better it was a furniture one, there were a few things that I might have bought if I had lots of spare cash and lots of spare room, but nothing really special. Then 2 doors down another one, did I think it was worth it, well hey I've been in the other 3, and this one was really worth it!

I only ever look at homeware type stuff, I've never found clothes in a charity shop, however my husband thought he'd look at the shirts, he's got some great vintage & repro shirts but he paints a lot and wants more shirts to just wear around the house, without wearing out his good stuff, and he found one! I couldn't believe it, he found a late 50's/early 60's shirt for £4! Here it is!


My lovely husband in his new shirt, it's a bit creased cos I took a photo straight out of the bag! It's not stunning but it's an old one, in a style he likes, it fits and it was cheap!

But it doesn't end there, I saw a really really lovely teaset in a cabinet, great colours so went to have a look with no intention of buying because I could see it was £20 but I wanted a closer look as I got close to the cabinet I saw the most fab set of 6 glasses with stylised stags on them, when I saw the price was £4 it was a no brainer, here they are, all in excellent condition, no chips, no wear or anything, I may have to buy some sherry just so I can drink out of them!! I assume they're sherry glasses?



And here's a close up



How amazing are they? They really go with my Meakin Stag Dinnerware too which you can see in this post here

And last but certainly not least this 1950s lemonade set! I LOVE it, I love frosted glass a lot, I love green and it was only £5 which I love even more!





I have to say I'm thrilled I LOVE all these purchases, I don't think they're just ok, neither did I buy them just cos they are the era we like, I genuinely love them all

I'm one very happy Straight Talking Mama!

16 comments:

Yesterday Girl said...

Oh well done you! Hubby looks very handsome in his shirt!x

Anonymous said...

Fantastic finds, Mrs.! Your hubby is a dashing lad, if I may say... And that lemonade set kills!

cowbiscuits said...

Must admit my charity shop trips are usually pretty poor! But it all depends where you go! Love the stag glasses! x

Straight Talking Mama! said...

I'll pass the handsome comments on to Paul, obviously I think he's handsome :o)

Hello Cowbiscuits, I don't think we've met yet! Yes my charity shop finds usually suck I can't believe it, obviously a lucky day!

Vintage Coconut said...

His shirt is great I know my Guy would be totally Jelous! (He's so proud of the vintage shirts I find him.) And the glasses are so sweet.. BUT that lemonade set OHHH myyy GOODNESS, I WOULD have fallen over if I seen that. *It's Gorgeous!*

Straight Talking Mama! said...

I have to say I nearly did fall over when I saw it, I was reeling from finding the stag glasses, turned round & there they were!!

Dolly Cool Clare said...

Hooray - Glad you got some excellent finds, the shirt is really nice - and you know I love my vintage glassware so I am envious you got a full set - of both! argh! Why do I only ever get ones?! Think Northeners must be glass smashers! :)

Straight Talking Mama! said...

Yeah I know the shirt is nice isn't it & you know what only 5 mins earlier he'd said I need a couple of new shirts!! Hey listen hon, I never find anything not even one fab glass so this is a huge rarity!

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Hello there!!! How good to discover your blog... we used to tweet before I did a runner on twitter!
I know what you mean about charity shops.. I seemed to be cursed and never find anything other than total tat and expensive tat at that.. though.. I did find a lovely kitschy still life painting a few weeks ago in our new local charity shop.. Ummmed and ahhhhed about it.. walked away for five mins and returned to find it had gone!!!!!! That'll teach me!
Lovely stuff you have there.. especially love those reindeer glasses.
Michele x

Straight Talking Mama! said...

hey hello Michele! I wondered where you went!! Nice to have you back, just off to look at your blog

Kim said...

Nice score! I picked up a great shirt for my husband at a junk shop in downtown Las Vegas this week for only $1...I will be posting a photo of it soon. It is one of the best finds I ever had...even beats out the Red Wing Amoeba bowl in pink and black I got at a yard sale for $2.

Charlotte said...

So funny, as soon as I saw the stags I instantly thought of that Meakin stag design (my sister has some pieces). LOVE the lemonade set - perfect!

xx Charlotte
Tuppence Ha'penny Vintage

Straight Talking Mama! said...

Oh Kim that sounds amazing, for a $1 too!

I know Charlotte amazing huh? And I have a full dinner service :o)

In The Heyday said...

ohh they all look lovely! Well done. Hi to Paul, yes he is handsome!

doradadama said...

congrats..I never find glassware once I found
congrats..I never find cute vintage glassware so I am so envious..always see overpriced teapot sets..oh those are good for the holidays coming up very christmasy..ooooh and that lemonade set if gorgeous.

Straight Talking Mama! said...

I was lucky that day!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...